Calbert headlines opening weekend split
Malcolm Calbert celebrates his first goal of the season
Malcolm Calbert celebrates his first goal of the season
Sun, Sep. 4, 2011 - [Men's Soccer]

The #15-ranked Loras College men's soccer team went 1-1 in their first weekend of action at the Bob Baptista Invitational in Wheaton, Illinois. Loras opened the season with a convincing 4-0 win over North Central on Friday before dropping Saturday's soggy 2-1 game with the Wheaton College Thunder.

Loras 4, North Central 0

The Duhawks turned their defense into offense on a steamy Friday afternoon in suburban Chicago, and they didn't wait long to do it. Dan Figura, a defender who moved forward for a corner kick, netted the first goal of the season and first of his career in the fifth minute when he headed home a Kevin Cavers service.


Sixteen minutes later, Malcolm Calbert did the same, extending the lead to 2-0.


The Duhawks took two more shots in the first half and Nate DuBois made one of his three saves over the next 25 minutes.


Loras' 2-0 halftime lead lasted just three minutes into the second half, when Calbert struck again.


This time after a brief scramble in front of the Cardinals' goal Calbert, who had his back to goal, took a chance on a heeled shot on a bouncing ball and beat the unsuspecting heavy traffic around him to make it 3-0.


Malcolm wasn't done there, however.


Just three minutes later, he was again in position to keep a loose ball alive, and to do so with his back to the goal once again. This time, an off balance volley earned him his hat trick and closed out the scoring.


Loras held an 18-6 advantage in shots after the 90 minutes of action and earned their first shutout of the season with three saves from DuBois and one from Dylan Milkent.


Wheaton 2, Loras 1

After starting the final game of the weekend 90 minutes later than expected following the severe weather in the Chicagoland area on Saturday, the Duhawks dropped their first contest of 2011 to the host Wheaton College Thunder.


The game wasn't without its share of drama and excitement as the Duhawks opened a 1-0 lead on the home team.


Malcolm Calbert netted his fourth goal of the weekend in the 41stminute when he was once again able to make something out of a loose ball in the opponents' penalty box. This time Calbert poked a 6-yard shot past Ryan Seager from straight away.


A quiet end to the first half and start to the second half was quickly interrupted by the Thunder's first goal of the game in the 50thminute. Dan Pavlak headed home a cross on the Loras doorstep to even the match.


The physical match continued with the teams trading possession and pleasantries to the tune of 27 fouls – the most costly of which was whistled against the Duhawks in the 72ndminute. A few seconds later, Wheaton's Drew Golz was converting from the penalty spot.


With just over five minutes left, Calbert was ejected from the match on a play in front of the Wheaton bench that included two Thunder players and Calbert each ending up on the turf. When the dust settled, Calbert was shown a red card.


Loras managed one more quality chance off the head of substitute forward Sean Lewis following the Duhawks being reduced to 10 men.


Loras held a slim 9-8 shot advantage, but didn't force Wheaton goalkeeper Seager into any saves.


The Duhawks will be in Wisconsin on September 7 when they take on Wisconsin-Whitewater at 7:30 PM.